PE and Sports Studies
Statement of Intent
St Bede's Physical Education Department actively supports and contributes to the school's philosophy as a caring community of adults and young people. We endeavour to provide each child with a rewarding, challenging and enjoyable learning experience through the medium of physical activity and in so doing engender positive attitudes to sport and physical fitness.
We aim to:
· maintain and/or stimulate student interest and enjoyment in PE and to promote health and fitness for current and future lifestyles.
· enable students to see PE as a major feature in their lives related to leisure, employment and culture, and part of a wider body of knowledge and skills, e.g. interpersonal and problem-solving (to include analysis and evaluation of PE issues).
· enable students to develop a range of desirable personal qualities such as politeness, perseverance, initiative and interdependence. The establishment of self-esteem through the development of physical confidence is a major aim of the department.
· enable students to work independently and as part of a team in varied activities.
· employ teaching methods and resources that allow all students, irrespective of their gender, ethnic origin, or academic ability, to have equal access to PE and to experience success and enjoyment in their PE work.
· prepare students to make active, creative and purposeful use of their leisure time throughout their lives.
For a timetable of PE activities per year group please click here
Please click here for the Curriculum Map for Core PE in Years 7-9
Please click here for the Curriculum Map for Netball in Years 7-9
Please click here for the Curriculum Map for Hockey in Years 7-9
Please click here for the Curriculum Map for Sports Studies (GCSE PE)
The department organises extra-curricular activities daily, making full use of the sports hall, gymnasium, fitness suite and playing fields. Students are encouraged to participate in the extra-curricular activities provided by the physical education staff and external agencies. This is intended to increase the opportunity for general involvement in physical activity and the development of excellence, both in and out of school.
Extra-curricular activities include Rugby, Hockey, Basketball, Table tennis, Badminton, Football, Netball, Athletics, Handball, Indoor Rowing, Athletics, Rounders & Cricket.
Every extra-curricular activity is open to all students irrespective of ability. The department strives for high standards for every student to achieve and believes in ‘Excellence for Everyone’. Youngsters are encouraged to join local clubs and are nominated for District and County representation.
The activities offered to students throughout the year complement the curriculum.
For more details please contact:
Mr J Druce, Head of Physical Education: firstname.lastname@example.org