It is widely acknowledged that many children who are entitled to Free School Meals do not receive them as the allowance has not been claimed. As well as the clear benefits for children, the Government has introduced a Pupil Premium whereby St Bede’s receives £430 in extra funding for each student claiming Free School Meals.
Secondly, although the Education Maintenance Allowance for Post 16 students has been abolished, Sixth Forms and Colleges can award bursaries to students to help with educational expenses. These bursaries are based on the student’s entitlement to Free School Meals.
As we have a Cashless Catering system at St Bede’s; the Free School Meal entitlement is credited to the student’s account and they buy their food in the same way as every other student, without any risk of identification or embarrassment.
Did you know that:
- A child of Secondary School age can spend up to £2.15 per day
- Your child doesn’t have to have it – but it’s there if they would like it
- St Bede’s receives extra money for each child who is entitled to Free
- Claiming free school meals instead of paying for them will save parents
around £400 a year per child
Is your child eligible for Free School Meals? Your child is eligible if you receive one of these benefits:
- Income support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and with a household income
of less than £16,190
- Guarantee element of State Pension
- Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
Applying is easy:
Applying for free school meals on-line is quick and easy and no proof of entitlement is needed. On receipt of the on-line application, Cambridgeshire County Council will check for entitlement through a secure Electronic Checking System. All that is needed is the claimant’s name, National Insurance number, their children's details and details of their children's schools.
Complete an online application form: http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/education/parents/help/lunches/
Applications can also be made using the Application Form below. This form can also be used to receive help in paying for school uniform.
For more information call the Education Welfare Benefits Service on 01480 72307/8. Parents needing help or internet access to complete these forms are welcome to contact the school office.
Application Form for Free School Meals.pdf